- This is the first Illumination Entertainment's live-action/animated hybrid film, also the the first one to be a non-sequel/prequel film and the last one to feature the 1997-2012 Universal Pictures logo; it also had lowest grossing merely more than $100 million among its works.
- It is also Universal Pictures' second live-action/animated hybrid film after The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle in 2000.
- The CGI animated special effects were created by Rhythm & Hues Studios.
- This is the first Illumination Entertainment film to use profanity, followed by The Lorax and The Secret Life of Pets; as the word "cipple" is said once (referring to a handicapped person) and God's name is used in vain twice. This is another reason for the film's PG rating.
- This is the first Illumination Entertainment film to be accompanied by only one short instead of three for home media releases, followed by Despicable Me 3.